By continuing to browse this website or by clicking on the X, you consent to the use of cookies that enable us to collect site-visit statistics and offer you videos, share buttons, personalized ads, and a chat feature. Learn more and set cookie preferences X

FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

ANKAMA PRODUCTS AND CMON LIMITED END DISTRIBUTION DEAL

By [Dewit] - ANKAMA - May 23, 2017, 18:15:00
AnkaTracker
Reactions 30
Score : 165

-Foosninja-|2017-05-30 01:14:57
Firfudit - Black Crow came out a year ago...The OP Kit with the Crowbaks' is coming out now-ish (still not in the US but in Europe currently....and as you say....and I suspect is true....a year from now they will be available in some sort of blister pack to buy.     So you think this was a "Good plan"?     Unless I want to get scalped a YEAR LATER on e-bay, then I wait TWO YEARS for the MOB's for the Krosmaster who can summon them that I bought TWO YEARS ago.     This seems like a "Good plan" to you?     Something that won't at all piss of players?   (and same for the Ghouls and Tentacles)

It's neither a good or bad plan because it's not a plan at all to begin with. You don't exactly "plan" on having a succession of problems over a relatively short period of time that, put together, royally screw up your business. Off the top of my head :
  • former game designer had personal issues that severely hindered his works and had to be replaced
  • guy in charge of relations with the manufacturers left the company (taking with him all the contacts and relations he had)
  • one big extention (KM Quest) pushed back over and over for various reasons, delaying everything else down the production line
  • manufacturing company going bankrupt, and witholding some of the latest production runs as hostage to scrape off some money (yes, at least SOME duel pack #3 figurines physically exist and are rotting in a hangar somewhere in Vietnam)
I'm not saying Ankama is absolutely 100% blameless on these. Maybe a better organization or better decision might have avoided or dampened the impact of those events ... or maybe not, we'll never know, what's done is done. What I am saying, however, is that painting these as a totally intended and carefully planned masterful business strategy MIGHT be a "bit" of an unfair exageration, don't you think ?

As for the second part of your post, you're mixing up casual play and organized play.
I never said you needed tournament kits to have people play a game at all. But in order to have regular attendance over time in competitive events, some of which may require spending efforts and resources (training time, travel costs, schedule constraints, etc ...) well you WILL need a carrot in one form or another.
Does Terraforming Mars have a history of local, regional, national and world tournaments/championships over several years ? Least I checked it doesn't, and incidentally, they are considering holding the first world tournament next year and guess what ? ... there are prizes for the top players.
Score : 4282

Ankama should not be caring one way or another whether there is casual play or organized tournaments.   This should not matter to them.  What should matter to them is "people buying their product".   Without tournaments the first wave of Terraforming Mars sold out of pretty much everywhere.  While waiting for the second print run, first print run versions were going for over $100 on e-bay.   Selling product is the key.  Getting new players and maintaining old players is what they need.   Doesn't matter if they play tournaments or not.   And the best advertisement you're going to get is word of mouth.  If your friends come to you and tell you "hey you've gotta play game X, it's great"  That's the best advertisement there is.  If they come to you and say...."It's good but it's got some balanced issues....and you can play it  on-line too, but you're going to get swamped with Julith teams."    See that's not as good of an endorsement.  Look I love the figures, the mechanics, the theme.....but I can't tell people it's a "Great game" right now because of the balance problems.

You described the long history of Ankama's woes.....and I don't think those were their problems... their BIG problems were:
       Nox and Klor Ofil domination
       Banning Klor
       Merkator and OP level 1's overrunning game play.
       Their ludicrous refusal to fix OP figure's cards.
       Dark Crow adding to the OP pile
       Julith and Lilith....but mostly Julith

All that other behind the scenes stuff is secondary.      Make the game great...don't let the diversity of the game get ruined by OP figures.   OP figures besides ruining diversity makes it harder for new players to compete.   And that drives away the most important demographic.

They have a wonderful on-line version which they could use like LOL does with monthly tweaks to ensure no characters are too powerful or too weak.   This keeps the diversity there.

• Ankama should not be caring one way or another whether there is casual play or organized tournaments.   This should not matter to them.  What should matter to them is "people buying their product". [...] Doesn't matter if they play tournaments or not.

uuuh, that's your opinion and I think you're gonna be a bit on your own on this one, most (I should really say ALL) people I know and with whom i've talked about it agree that the death of organised play would be the death of the game (not all games rely on the same dynamics by the way, and in that regard KMA is pretty close to games like CCGs and needs a competitive scene to flourish, even if casual play exists).
  • You described the long history of Ankama's woes.....and I don't think those were their problems... their BIG problems were:
  •        Nox and Klor Ofil domination
  •        Banning Klor
  •        Merkator and OP level 1's overrunning game play.
  •        Their ludicrous refusal to fix OP figure's cards.
  •        Dark Crow adding to the OP pile
  •        Julith and Lilith....but mostly Julith
  • All that other behind the scenes stuff is secondary.

I thought we were talking about the issue of promotional material aviability and the suggestion of selling them off the shelves, to whitch I replied that it was already the case in principle, minus an exception which could be be explained by exceptional circumstances. Why are you suddenly changing topic and making it about game balance ?  Or are you so obsessed with being contrarian that you have to divert the current discussion in order to find something else to complain about when you're out of argument ?

Sorry about that, yes I did get a little off track.    Sort of.

I disagree that OP kits promote in store play.
My point was - The biggest (by far) factor to having a game that is played in game shops is that the game is fun to play.   OP kits do not impact "Fun level" but game design and balance does.

What do OP kits target anyway?    "Existing players who want the new 3d stuff."

Promotional material needs to be targeted at "New Players".   And for that it does not need to be "New stuff".   A 3-d Tofu or plastic Barrel will mean no more to a new player than a season 1 figure.   In fact any Season 1 figure is going to be more impressive than a Barrel or Tentacle....or Maskemaine mask.    By targeting the OP kits at existing players instead of new players, what they are instead doing is creating hard feelings among their loyal player base....collectors or even just someone who owns Dark Crow and he's one of his favorite Krosmasters, and he wants 3 Crowbaks in order to play him properly in all his 3d glory.   Well the crowbaks are coming out crazy late compared with when the figure was released...and in OP kits the amounts are so limited anyone would be hard pressed to get 3 crowbaks....much less two players who happen to play at the same game shop.   And the OP kits do nothing for game groups that don't play at retail stores.    They only sell them to retail stores.    If I talked my Saturday night game group into playing Krosmaster regularly we couldn't get the promo material.  I'm willing to pay for it...but they won't sell to me....their Krosmaster Customer....instead I have to get scalped on ebay or wait two years for Dark Crow's summons to be made available in blister packs.    This form of "promotion" is not targeting new players to grow the player base, it's instead targeting existing players and pissing some of them off. 

-Foosninja-|2017-06-01 03:08:00
I disagree that OP kits promote in store play.

let's agree to disagree then

Fair enough.

I think what would be more effective is supplying stores with "Demo kits"....the base game that the stores can leave both on display (Cuz they're cool to look at and pick up and examine first hand) and available for people to try the game.   I helped run demo games at the Krosmaster booth at PAX a couple years ago, and I think that went very well.   The base set is reasonably well balanced so long as Queen of the Tofus and King of the Gobbles were on opposite teams.  New people trying the game for the first time had an excellent experience with it.

Score : 2

So this is all comforting information to come across right after I already purchased the game.  Came to the site looking for info on where to get expansions and add ons and come to find that they are only available now from the original French site, with massive shipping costs.

Why no North American distribution anymore?  I saw that the deal with CMoN has ended, but there are a lot more NA companies that would be willing to distribute the game I would think.  It is fairly popular in my area (which is what convinced me to finally pick up my own copy) and we live in the middle of nowhere.  I'm sure it has it's fans all over in larger cities and such.

Score : 2

Its so fun going to tournment trying win some tokens! I wish we had  tournment at least once a week biggrin
Hope S6 we can find new tokens <3

Respond to this thread