FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Mekator Needs a Nerf

By D1MO January 12, 2016, 03:41:43

I've been holding out on making this topic for some time, because I wanted to get enough game play experience before I pointed it out. This game piece seriously needs a nerf. The guy has armor, protection from 2 colors, an HP recovery move, a ton of health and action points, can't take more than 3 dmg from a single source, AOE attacks that can hit for up to 3 dmg, and the only drawback he has are his self-damaging moves, which are easily mitigated by his healing move. Button snap makes this already OP character a super threat for TWO turns, dealing extra dmg on the first, and having a sizable increase in both AP and MP. I thought Crow was bad, but he's small change compared to this design oversight. Please nerf this guy. He's a problem, and with him included in this week's freebies, you can guarantee I won't be playing as much as usual.

0 0
Reactions 11
Score : 321

A nerf isn't really possible in Krosmaster - or at least, it'd be something of a first. Don't forget that this is a board game first and the designers have declared that errata will not happen.

Beyond that, I don't really want to open up a discussion about balance, save to say that although merk is definitely a tier 1 option, he's not exactly crushing the tournament scene.

What are you playing that you're having so much trouble?

P.S. Join the skype group!

0 0
Score : 4506

Does calling something "Tier 1" mean it's better than other figures of a similar cost? Say "non-tier 1" figures....whatever those are?

And as joffrey pointded out, "a nerf isn't really 'possible' in Krosmaster. (Despite what they've done to Klor, and all the figures on the Boss list.) whatever 'possible' means?

0 0
Score : 170
joffreybieber|2016-01-12 06:56:24
A nerf isn't really possible in Krosmaster - or at least, it'd be something of a first. Don't forget that this is a board game first and the designers have declared that errata will not happen.

Beyond that, I don't really want to open up a discussion about balance, save to say that although merk is definitely a tier 1 option, he's not exactly crushing the tournament scene.

What are you playing that you're having so much trouble?

P.S. Join the skype group!

Well, they have made post-production errata changes for pieces before, so that's what I'd like to see when I say "nerf."

I have no troubles with my team (I win about 70% or so of my matches), the only games where I feel like there was little or nothing that I could do are against Merk (I used to think Crow was too OP, which I still think he is, but he's at least beatable). My team, which I really enjoy and am successful with is Cleo, Yugo, Percidal, Coa, Anna. Super mobile, and can beat down many pieces before they even realize that they're in danger, but it doesn't really matter what my team is, because no matter what the line-up, it doesn't change the fact that Merk is insanely imbalanced (compare him to other 6 pointers like Nox, and you'll see that he's lightyears ahead of any other 6 pointer)
0 0
Score : 6361

Merk being broken has been discussed over and over, by myself and many others. The only thing learned from those discussions is that Ankama is infallible when it comes to these types of things. So errata therefore is not an option.

What I advise is that you change your strat. He is very beatable since the types of players that use him are very predictable. GGs win the game against him and his healing. So no matter what spend all your kamas on GGs. They will be forced to decide to spend kamas on GGs or that big fat rank 3 Dofus reward they wanted for Merk. Usually they will choose the reward, so you can GG out quicker. But even if they opt to buy GG instead great, now you don't have to deal with a reward buffed Merk. Both are desirable results.

While doing this try to pick off his small figures. Usually one is enough then you can retreat. Killing with Kivin or another "wisdom" figure is even better. I recommend killing a lower level figure that is closest to more kamas. Preventing collection of kamas is important. Block movement with summons etc. to make collection hard.

Also employ a figure with "Farming" and "Prospecting" on your team and always make sure to leave a few kamas on the ground for them to pick up 1 of each turn. A farmer can turn every 1 kama into 2 each turn. So don't hoover them all up in a single turn. Deliberately leave one or 2 kamas around within reach of the farmer to double your income. The Prospecting figures profit from picking off the little ones. And Buy GGs.

1 0
Score : 170
GinjaaNinjaa|2016-01-12 19:00:42
Merk being broken has been discussed over and over, by myself and many others. The only thing learned from those discussions is that Ankama is infallible when it comes to these types of things. So errata therefore is not an option.

What I advise is that you change your strat. He is very beatable since the types of players that use him are very predictable. GGs win the game against him and his healing. So no matter what spend all your kamas on GGs. They will be forced to decide to spend kamas on GGs or that big fat rank 3 Dofus reward they wanted for Merk. Usually they will choose the reward, so you can GG out quicker. But even if they opt to buy GG instead great, now you don't have to deal with a reward buffed Merk. Both are desirable results.

While doing this try to pick off his small figures. Usually one is enough then you can retreat. Killing with Kivin or another "wisdom" figure is even better. I recommend killing a lower level figure that is closest to more kamas. Preventing collection of kamas is important. Block movement with summons etc. to make collection hard.

Also employ a figure with "Farming" and "Prospecting" on your team and always make sure to leave a few kamas on the ground for them to pick up 1 of each turn. A farmer can turn every 1 kama into 2 each turn. So don't hoover them all up in a single turn. Deliberately leave one or 2 kamas around within reach of the farmer to double your income. The Prospecting figures profit from picking off the little ones. And Buy GGs.

While I'm not going to change my team layout for this specific threat, you do make some good points. I had been focusing on smaller opponents on Merk teams, but always ended up a few GG short. Focusing on purchasing GG's might make the difference.

Regardless, though, I would like to see something happen to Merkator. Preferably, an errata change would be the best (they have done things like this before) but I would be happy with a Merkator ban in ranked play, though it would be an extreme solution. Honestly, if his recovery spell did 0 and only actually healed on crits, OR cost more AP, making it impossible to both attack and heal on the same turn, I think that would make enough of a difference (why they gave an already enormously tanky character a recovery move in the first place, I'll never know).

I can only imagine how difficult it is to balance such a game, and by and large, the game is excellently balanced, but in the case of Merkator (and less so, Crow), I simply don't know what they were thinking. As mentioned, he exceeds every 6 pointer in almost every way. It never should have gotten past testing/QA as it is now.
0 0
Score : 167

It's been said many times already, but Merkator is only a problem in the lower leagues where being an auto-piloted character with counter-strategies that are not quite obvious to beginners makes it an easy in pick.
But while he's not absent in higher level play, he doesn't stand out from the rest of the pack and he's certainly not what you'd call dominating.

Just check the results from this year's nationals. Despite a map that favours big slow short ranged brawlers, Merka's prformance wasn't outstanding.
1 made it to top 8 in Spain and Germany, none made it to top 16 in the US, and one ranked exactly 32nd on day 1 in France, barely qualifying for day 2 thanks to goal averages (but didn't qualify for 8th finals). All that in an environment that saw a huge diversity in team compositions, in every country.
Does that mean that a quarter of all figurines are more OP than Merka since they did better on a map that favoured him ?

0 0
Score : 4506

Well a Merk team did win the US nationals last year, and in last year's worlds the highest rated player opted to play Merkator, and won the winners bracket, but ultimately lost in the finals.

That said, the Boss rule changes impacted Merk quite a bit, since Luk Ylook who is also OP was a popular Merkator team mate. And since the Boss change made Luk a Boss it kept him from being paired with Merk, which may be responsible for the slightly less favorable results he's had this year compared to last. But he's still figure that can appear in the top results in majors.

0 0
Score : 1112

I never understood why merks krobust says he cant be healed more than 3 at a time since the only krosmaster that can do that would be lumino (now also liotte) and thats with larva set and a critical hit, and he also has his own heal spell O_o. Also if you have larva set and celestial wand with a crit but that is highly unlikely although its more likely than finding a team with lumino in it laugh.
I think most people would agree he is balanced if he also can not deal more than 3 damage even with crit/rewards. Eather that or he cant be healed at all even with rewards for the current turn and 1 turn after or for 2 turns after casting button snap. Or another would be he cant be heald more than 1 with spells since he has his own heal spell but he can with rewards. I know this would probably never happen but just curious to know if people would think that would make him balanced since i have not read anywhere of people suggesting those.

0 0
Score : 750
wowxxxxx|2016-04-07 07:34:33
I never understood why merks krobust says he cant be healed more than 3 at a time since the only krosmaster that can do that would be lumino (now also liotte) and thats with larva set and a critical hit, and he also has his own heal spell O_o. Also if you have larva set and celestial wand with a crit but that is highly unlikely although its more likely than finding a team with lumino in it laugh.
I think most people would agree he is balanced if he also can not deal more than 3 damage even with crit/rewards. Eather that or he cant be healed at all even with rewards for the current turn and 1 turn after or for 2 turns after casting button snap. Or another would be he cant be heald more than 1 with spells since he has his own heal spell but he can with rewards. I know this would probably never happen but just curious to know if people would think that would make him balanced since i have not read anywhere of people suggesting those.

There is a DR that heals for 7, several DRs that heal for 3 and the DR Healing wand heals for 2, most of which can be increased to over 3 in conjunction with the Larva Set.

Scram style can also give lifesteal. I'm not 100% sure whether Merk's ability blocks that particular brand of healing, but if not he could certainly pass 3 hitpoints with it.
0 0
Score : 167
OneBigHullabaloo|2016-04-07 08:30:06

There is a DR that heals for 7, several DRs that heal for 3 [...]

Scram style can also give lifesteal. I'm not 100% sure whether Merk's ability blocks that particular brand of healing, but if not he could certainly pass 3 hitpoints with it.
Merk's power specifically applies to spells that target him. Those DRs and the Lifesteal effect don't meet that criteria and therefore wouldn't be affected

and the DR Healing wand heals for 2, most of which can be increased to over 3 in conjunction with the Larva Set.
Healing wand however would be affected since it gives the wearer an extra spell. Also, for completion's sake, there are tree stumps from the autumn terrain set that give the +1 healing boost when you stand on them (instead of +1 range for crates), though it doesn't stack with larva set since it's the same power.

I never understood why merks krobust says he cant be healed more than 3 at a time since the only krosmaster that can do that would be lumino (now also liotte) and thats with larva set and a critical hit,
Don't forget Adamai (with Yugo adjacent to target) and Drop Knight with another allied knight in play.
As to why they did this even if it rarey comes into play, same reason Percylax's big spell affects targets of level "6 or more" : they just want to anticipate and keep options open for future cards designs, even if turns out afterwards that they never use that option. They didn't know (especially in the early stages of the game when Merk was created) if big heals would become a trend or not.
0 0
Score : 727

The fact of the matter is that Merk is strong yes, but can be beaten, and easily too. If he gets good items and good rolls yada yada yada, but thats all luck, you cant count that into Merk's actual level of difficulty to play against. But coming from a player who has played against and beaten Merk many a time, he is not OP. There are many characters that directly counter him, Malee (removes his power), Kitty (only goes over 3 max dmg with DRs), and even Phaeris (can make it so Merk cannot heal/button snap).

Back in the day I remember being upset by Merk and actually I know for a fact many of my concedes are auto-forfeits from going up against a Merk, but then I played Kitty who can dominate a Merk team, and other teams that I thought were viable, but at the same time would have a good possibility against Merk.

Bottom line: Is Merk strong? Yes. Does he need to be nerfed? Probably not. Will he be nerfed? Not going to happen, season one will most likely be phased out, too late to change him now. Is he annoying? Very. Will he get banned from tournaments? Never, look at the Samurais, there's a reason they are not allowed in tourneys, and for good reason. Can he be beaten? Almost every time.

As Ginjaa, one of the best players in the US (GinjaaNinjaa has played so many games, around 3000, of this online I would like to imagine he has seen almost every scenario this game can create) said: If you are having a hard time try adjusting your play style/team composition. Also focusing on GGs is a great way to take out a merk player, because they are usually focused on their Merk and not the "value" that makes up the rest of the team. Drop one of them and keep the GGs in your favor and its an easy win.

Compare him with Goultard, has 4 separate attacks, one being a once a game that costs ZERO ap and does a base 2 dmg with a -1 ap and mp marker. Then he has a cross area attack, and one that can move him extra spaces, not like he needs the extra movement with a base 4 mp already. Plus not only does he already have 16 hp, which is large, but every time he kills something he heals for 3, not 2 with a chance to crit, not lifesteal so they only have 2 hp left so you only lifesteal 2 hp back. He gets 3 hp no matter what, also add items to Goultard and he gets pretty gross as well.

In the same light look at Kitty, a character that actually got an errata. She has the same hp as Goultard, aka a high amount, but has a resistance, and can attack for a base 2 dmg with armor piercing fora pretty standard 3 dmg an attack, she can do this twice a turn. Not only all of this but she has dodge which can help her escape sticky situations and attack more.

Merkator is a good figure, but not OP or unbeatable. There are a multitude of Krosmasters that are either equally good/annoying and most of those are not level 6 figs. Merk is a jerk, that is for sure, but he's no God.

0 0
Respond to this thread